You have a right to be told whether the council is holding or processing information about you and a right to receive a copy of that information – subject to certain exemptions.

Can I request someone else’s personal data?

You can make a request on behalf of another person, with their permission. You can also make a request in respect of children in your care.

We will require their written authority for the release of their information to you and, in the case of children, proof of parental or legal responsibility.

The subject access form outlines the information we will need if you are requesting information on behalf of someone else.

How do I access my data?

You will need to complete a subject access form and send it to us.

Your request must be in writing and we require proof of identity and an explanation of the information you require.

Please send your completed form to:

Data Protection Officer

East Devon District Council
Blackdown House
Border Road, Heathpark Industrial Estate
EX14 1EJ

Or you can email your form to  

If we are not able to provide you with some, or all, of the information you have asked for, we will explain the reasons for this.

Is there a charge?

You will not be charged for exercising any of your rights unless your request is unfounded, excessive or repetitive in which case we may charge you a reasonable administration fee for the supply of information. Having been provided with any information, if you request further copies then this will be subject to a reasonable charge.

How long will it take?

We will provide information or process your request within one month of receiving a valid request. In some cases, if the request is particularly complex, we may not be able to respond within one month and would then contact you to explain this and that we need more time. In any case your request will be dealt with within 3 months.

Can my request be refused?

If your request is considered to be manifestly excessive, unfounded or repetitive, we may make a charge for provision of information or we may refuse to respond. In these cases we will always contact you to explain the reasons for this.

ID requirements

If the Council is not in a position to identify you then we may request further information to enable us to confirm identity. None of the rights are available unless we can confirm identity. 


If we are not able to comply with your request, we will explain to you why this is the case and you will have the right to complain.