Guide About Council Tax Reduction

Show all parts of this guide

7. Overpayment of Council Tax Reduction

An overpayment is any amount of Council Tax Reduction which we paid to your Council Tax account that you were not entitled to. This could be because:

  • You may have forgotten to tell us that your income has increased
  • You or somebody else may have moved in or out of your home
  • If you have other adults living with you their circumstances may have changed

To avoid an overpayment:

  • Tell us about any changes in your circumstances as soon as they happen, even if you have already told the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).
  • Make sure you fully complete your application form with all income and capital details for you and all household members.
  • Check that the income band that you have been placed in on your Council Tax bill is correct. If we have made a mistake, or used the wrong information, please tell us immediately.


How overpayments are recovered

If we overpay your Council Tax Reduction we will add the overpayment to your Council Tax account and a new bill will be issued with details of how to pay. This could be an increase to your monthly instalment.