Guide Changes to your circumstances

Show all parts of this guide

2. Change in circumstances - Council Tax Reduction

Please tell the benefits team as soon as you or someone who lives in your household:

  • starts or stops working,
  • have any other change in their income or savings,
  • moves in or out

 This must be within one month of the change. 

The sooner you let us know about the change, the sooner we can award the correct amount of Council Tax Reduction (CTR). If your CTR reduces, any overpaid CTR will be added to your Council Tax account.

How to tell us


Please attach your evidence to the email. We can accept scanned images or photographs of your evidence which need to be in actual size so that we can read them.

Complete a form

Phone 01395 571770

 We can take most changes over the phone although we may ask for evidence.

Your responsibility

It is your responsibility to tell us of the changes within 21 days, otherwise by law we can issue you with a:

  • £70 civil penalty if you do not tell us of any change that may affect your Council Tax Reduction
  • To falsely claim Council Tax Reduction is a criminal offence and we may prosecute.

Why do I need to tell you about any changes in my circumstances?

If your circumstances change, it may lead to either an increase or a reduction in your CTR. Please tell us within 21 days of the change to make sure that any increase in your entitlement is paid from the date that the change happened.

If you do not tell us promptly, and we find out later that we have paid you too much, you will normally have to pay it back to us.

What happens after I have told you about a change?

We will write to you and tell you whether, and by how much, the change has affected your CTR. If we have not written to you within a month of your telling us about a change, please email us