1. The applicant is the person on whose behalf the work is being carried out, e.g. the building or land owner. The agent (if used) is the person who is submitting the application on behalf of the applicant and is the person who all correspondence will be sent to.

  2. Where the proposed work includes the erection of a new building or extension this notice should be accompanied by allocation plan to a scale of not less than 1:1250 showing:

    • The size and the position of the building, or the building as extended, and its relationship to adjoining boundaries.
    • The boundaries of the curtilage of the building, or the building as extended, and the size, position and use of every other building or proposed building within that curtilage.
    • The width and position of any street on or within the boundaries of the curtilage of the building or the building as extended.
    • Where it is proposed to erect the building or extension over a sewer or drain, the precautions to be taken in building over the sewer or drain.

    Please note: All plans should be marked with a unique reference number and clearly indicate different revisions.

  3. If the proposal involves work within 3 meters of a public sewer or public lateral drain, or if the works are to buildings other than single private dwellings, a Full Plans application will be required. Note: It is the responsibility of property owners to make diligent enquiries to determine whether the drainage in the vicinity of any proposed development is a public sewer or lateral drain under the control of the of the Water Authority and seek their consent to the ‘build over’ prior to construction - for further advice please call South West Water on 0344 346 2020 (Please note: 03 numbers are charges at standard rates and will be included in any free minutes in a mobile or landline phone contract).

  4. The fee payable can be confirmed by providing us with details of the proposed works. Cheques should be made payable to East Devon District Council.

  5. A Building Notice cannot be used where there is a need to consult the Fire Authority in other words where the works relate to premises covered by the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. These include:

    • Offices & shops
    • Premises providing sleeping accommodation (not private dwellings)
    • Residential care
    • Small & medium places of assembly
    • Large places of assembly
    • Factories & warehouses
    • Theatres & cinemas
    • Educational premises
    • Healthcare premises (responsibility of the Department of Health)
    • Transport premises and facilities

    Note:  Single private dwellings are outside the scope of the RRO.

  6. These notes are for general guidance only; particulars regarding the deposit of plans are contained in Regulation 13 of the Building Regulations 2010 and, in respect of charges, in the Building (Local Authority Charges) Regulations 2010.

  7. Persons proposing to carry out building work or make a material change of use of a building are reminded that permission may be required under the Town and Country Planning Acts. Please call  01404 515616 to speak to the Planning Department for more information.

  8. The personal information you provide will be processed by the Council in connection with the relevant legislation and may be used in furtherance of Section 17 of the Crime and Disorder Act. Please note: the Council has legal obligations to protect and provide information under the Data Protection Act 1998, the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the Environmental Information Regulations 2004.

  9. New Dwellings - in relation to the erection of a dwelling, a statement is required to be provided relating to any Optional Requirement imposed under planning permission.
  10. If the work includes demolition of a building or part of a building, you may be required to submit a demolition notice as prescribed in section 81 of the Building Act 1984.

  11. Further information and advice concerning the Building Regulations can be obtained by contacting Building Control on 01395 517482 or emailing If in doubt, please ask.