East Devon District Council's constitution
East Devon District Council's constitution commits the Council to its role as a community leader, with a strategic purpose to deliver outstanding services and plan for the future of the District.
The Council is the primary body in respect of setting out overall policies and budgeting and is responsible for ensuring performance review of the Cabinet and other Committees. How those committees work is described in the constitution.
The constitution also sets out how the council operates, how decisions are made, and the procedures that are followed to ensure that the council is efficient, transparent and accountable to local people.
Constitution of February 2023, in full
- Constitution Part 1 Summary and Explanation
- Constitution Part 2 Articles of the Constitution
- Constitution Part 3 Section 1 Responsibilities for functions
- Constitution Part 3 Section 2 Terms of reference and delegated powers of committees
- Constitution Part 3 Section 3 Delegated powers of officers
- Constitution Part 4 Rules of procedure
- Constitution Part 5.1 Members' code of conduct
- Constitution Part 5.2 Code of conduct for employees
- Constitution Part 5.3 Code of practice for councillors and officers dealing with planning matters
- Constitution Part 5.4 Protocol for relationships between Members and officers
- Constitution Part 5.5 Council's petition scheme
- Constitution Part 5.6 Member champion protocol
- Constitution Part 6 Members allowance scheme
- Constitution Part 7 Management Structure
- Constitution Part 8 Strata terms of reference and rules of procedure
- Constitution Part 9 South East Devon Habitat Regulations Executive Committee terms of reference and rules of procedure