2. Principle A
Principle A – Behaving with integrity, demonstrating strong commitment to ethical values, and respecting the rule of law.
- Ensure members and officer behave with integrity and lead a culture where acting in the public interest is visibly and consistently demonstrated thereby protecting the reputation of the Council.
- Ensure members take the lead in establishing specific standard operating principles or values for the Council and its staff and that they are communicated and understood – building on the Seven Principles of Public Life (the Nolan Principles).
- Lead by example and use the above standard operating principles or values as a framework for decision making and other actions.
- Demonstrate, communicate and embed the standard operating principles or values through appropriate policies and processes which are reviewed on a regular basis to ensure that they are operating effectively.
- Seek to establish, monitor and maintain the Councils ethical standards and performance.
- Underpin personal behaviour with ethical values and ensure they permeate all aspects of the Council’s culture and operation.
- Develop and maintain robust policies and procedures which place emphasis on agreed ethical values.
- Ensure that external providers of services on behalf of the Council are required to act with integrity and in compliance with ethical standards expected by the Council.
- Ensure members and staff demonstrate a strong commitment to the rule of the law as well as adhering to relevant laws and regulations.
- Create the conditions to ensure that the statutory officers, other key post holders, and members, are able to fulfil their responsibilities in accordance with legislative and regulatory requirements.
- Strive to optimise the use of the full powers available for the benefit of citizens, communities and other stakeholders.
- Deal with breaches of legal and regulatory provisions effectively.
- Ensure corruption and misuse of power are dealt with effectively.