Policy Whistleblowing policy

Show all parts of this policy

6. Further steps

This Policy is intended to provide you with an avenue to raise concerns within the Council. The Council hopes you will be satisfied with any action taken.  If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your confidential allegation you can write to the Chief Executive and ask for the investigation and outcome to be reviewed.  If you remain dissatisfied and you feel it is right to take the matter outside the Council, you may wish to take advice from your trade union, your local Citizens Advice Bureau, any of the external agencies listed below, or your legal advisor on the options that are available to you.

Another option is that you may wish to rely on your rights under the Public Interest Disclosure Act 1998.  This Act gives you protection from victimisation if you make certain disclosures of information in the public interest.  The provisions are quite complex and include a list of prescribed persons outside of the Council who can be contacted in certain circumstances.  You should seek advice on the effect of the Act from the Monitoring Officer.

If you do take the matter outside the Council, you need to ensure that you do not disclose information where you owe a duty of confidentiality to persons other than the Council (e.g. service users) or where you would commit an offence by making such disclosures.  This is something that you would need to check with one of the officers mentioned in the previous section (Procedure).