Guide Council Tax bands, charges and appeals

Show all parts of this guide

1. Council Tax bands, charges and appeals

Council Tax bands

Valuation Office Agency (VOA) is responsible for banding properties

In England, the Valuation Office Agency put properties into a band based on their value on 1 April 1991 - not what they’re worth today.

Each property falls within one of the following eight bands:

Valuation band

House values

A Up to and including £40,000
B £40,001 to £52,000
C £52,001 to £68,000
D £68,001 to £88,000
E £88,001 to £120,000
F £120,001 to £160,000
G £160,001 to £320,000
H £320,001 and above

If you make improvements and/or alterations to your property, the band will not change until:

  • you sell it
  • the ownership of the property is transferred
  • there is a change in a business element of the property
  • there is a revaluation

Banding appeals

Find out how to appeal to the Valuation Office Agency (VOA)

If you think your property is in the wrong band, contact the Valuation Office Agency (VOA): 

If you still disagree with the VOA's decision about your band you may have the right to appeal to an independent valuation tribunal. Time restrictions apply. Contact the Valuation Tribunal Service:

If you do query your band or make an appeal, you still have to pay your Council Tax until your appeal has been resolved. If your appeal is successful, and the band is reduced, we will refund any overpayment you may have made.

Start the journey