Guide Council Tax discounts and exemptions information

Show all parts of this guide

1. Single person discount

You are entitled to a 25% discount on the Council Tax if you are:

  • the only person over the age of 18 years living at the property and
  • it's your main residence.

Sometimes you can still claim a 25% discount even if other people live with you. This happens when the other person or people who live in the household aren't counted but are disregarded.

If you are currently claiming Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction you need to tell us that you are applying for, or cancelling a single person discount through the "Change in Circumstances" form:

Apply for or cancel a single person discount

By law you must tell within 21 days of any change that may affect your entitlement to this discount. To falsely claim a discount is a criminal offence and we may prosecute.