Guide Council Tax discounts and exemptions information

Show all parts of this guide

4. Discount for adapted property for disabled people

The disablement discount is equivalent to paying one band lower. For example, if your property is in Band D, we will charge you as if it were in Band C. If your property is already in the lowest band - Band A - we will reduce your bill by one ninth. It aims to make sure that disabled people do not pay more Council Tax because they live in a larger property than they would have needed if they were not disabled.

If the property is the main residence of at least one disabled person and it has at least one of the following features, you may be entitled to a discount:

  • a room (other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet) used by, and required to meet the needs of, the disabled person
  • an additional bathroom or kitchen for use by the disabled person
  • extra space inside the property to allow for the use of a wheelchair - wheelchairs for outdoor use only are excluded.

The room or the wheelchair must also be essential or of major importance to the disabled person's well-being, due to the nature and extent of their disability.

Disabled in this context means a person who is substantially and permanently disabled. The disabled person can be either an adult or a child and does not have to be responsible for paying the Council Tax bill.

An extra room does not need to have been specially built, but your home will not qualify for a discount unless the 'essential" or "of major importance" test above is met. Simply rearranging the rooms - for example, having a bedroom on the ground floor rather than the first floor - is unlikely to make your home eligible for a discount.

Apply for or cancel a discount on an adapted property for disabled people 

When we receive your completed form, we may need to visit to check whether you qualify.

By law you must tell within 21 days of any change that may affect your entitlement to this discount. To falsely claim a discount is a criminal offence and we may prosecute.