Guide Council Tax discounts and exemptions information

Show all parts of this guide

1. Single person discount

You are entitled to a 25 per cent discount on the Council Tax on your home if

  • you are the only person over the age of 18 years  and
  • it's your main residence

Sometimes you can still claim a single person discount even if other people live with you. This happens when the other person or people who live in the household are disregarded - or aren't counted.

How to apply

By law you must tell within 21 days of any change that may affect your entitlement to this discount. To falsely claim a discount is a criminal offence and we may prosecute.