Guide Council Tax FAQ

Show all parts of this guide

18. My Council Tax band is too high, what can I do about it?

The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) values domestic properties for Council Tax. This valuation is used to set your Council Tax band.
You might need to contact the VOA if you think your Council Tax band is wrong.

You can find out more about when you can challenge your band and what you need to do at If you challenge your band, you must continue to pay Council Tax at your current band until your appeal is decided.

You can contact the VOA at If you are unable to use the online service you can also contact the VOA on 03000 501 501.