The long industrial history of the UK has caused areas of land to become contaminated in various ways over many years.  The ground around old factories, chemical sites, old petrol stations and even dry cleaners may contain substances which can, in some cases, present a risk to people, animals, vegetation, rivers and streams.  Certain compounds could also affect buildings and the groundwater system from which we obtain our drinking water.  Effective management of contaminated land issues will prove beneficial to both interested parties and the environment as a whole.

Devon guidance for developers

Devon  Developers Guide to Contaminated Land 

Our strategy

Please contact us at or 01395 517456 to request our 2019 East Devon Contaminated Land Strategy.

Do you have concerns regarding any land which may be affected by pollution or contamination?

Please report concerns about land which may be contaminated

Your house and contaminated land

There are three main methods of obtaining information about contaminated land:

1. We hold a public register to record information on sites where notices have been issued or a formal Remediation Statement has been prepared in line with Section 78(R) of the Act.  To date there are no entries on this register as no land in East Devon has been declared as Contaminated Land.

2. We make site specific environmental information available (if we hold it) in accordance with the Environmental Information Regulations 1992.

Requests must be:

  • made in writing
  • accompanied by a local map clearly marking the boundary of the land
  • reasonable and specific in the questions asked e.g. "is the council aware of any land within 250 metres of the site which has been used for waste disposal to landfill?"

Requests for detailed information or copy documents will incur a minimum charge of £50.

3. We respond to requests associated with Environmental Searches when property or land is being sold.

In all cases, especially where any doubt exists regarding contamination, it is worth seeking advice from your solicitor and/or an appropriately qualified and competent contaminated land expert.