Housing benefit

Housing benefit is a government scheme to help people pay their housing costs. If you are a council tenant and on a low income you may be entitled to benefit.

If you would like more information our benefits and support page will tell you how much benefit you could be entitled to and how to apply for housing benefit. 

From April 2013 the government, as part of its Welfare Reforms, introduced some changes to the amount of housing benefit that can be paid to tenants in council accommodation or housing association accommodation. For more information on Welfare Reforms please visit our page.

Universal Credit

In October 2013, the government introduced Universal Credit to replace some state benefits, including housing benefit. This has been slowly rolled out across the country and has been live throughout all of East Devon since 2018.

If you are in receipt of Universal Credit and are eligible for the housing element, this will be paid in to your bank account. You will need to make arrangements to make payments to your rent account unless you have requested that payments are made directly to your landlord.

Please go to the following page to find out your eligibility and to make an online claim.

Council Tax support

Council Tax Support (previously Council Tax Benefit) is a new local scheme to help you pay your Council Tax. If you would like more information or to see if you qualify for any discount please visit our help with your Council Tax page.

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs)

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) are normally intended as short term assistance while you find solutions to your financial situation. The benefits team will consider your application, for more information please visit our Discretionary Housing Payments page or contact the benefits team on 01395 517446.