If you have an issue with a licensed premises there are different people you should contact depending on the complaint.  

Consumer complaint

The law protects your consumer rights when you buy goods or services. Find out who to contact for consumer protection advice.

In the event of a complaint the first contact should be made with the trader by you – preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, and if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice.
From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Premises issues

If you have a complaint about public nuisance such as excessive noise you can contact our environmental health service on 01404 515616.  If you have an urgent problem after office hours then you can telephone their out of hours number: 0330 678 2382.

If you have a complaint about crime and disorder at a premises you can contact your local police on 111 or, of course, dial 999 in the case of an emergency.


If you want to tell us about an issue relating to licensable activities taking place at a premises please send us an email to with full details of the complaint.

Further steps

A responsible authority or any other person can in certain circumstances apply for a review of a current premises licence or club certificate if the premises does not promote the four licensing objectives: 

  • the prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • the prevention of public nuisance
  • the protection of children from harm

Following a review a premises may have conditions added to their licence or in extreme cases be closed down.