1. Website accessibility
This website is run by East Devon District Council. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
- We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
East Devon District Council endeavour to make this website as accessible as possible to everyone. This includes those with disabilities and those who use assistive technologies to browse the web. Some of the ways in which we strive to achieve this are as follows:
- We use standards-compliant valid HTML. This enables as much cross-browser and cross-platform compatibility as we can.
- We aim to meet AA Accessibility Standards as laid out by the Explanation of Level Double-A Conformance.
- Our site uses CSS for layout and styles. This allows users to change the text size to suit their needs.
- We provide a Text Only version for those who prefer this. As this is automatically generated its content is synchronised with that of the graphics version of the website. This ensures that it is not out of date or inferior in any way.
- A skip navigation link is provided on all our pages to allow users to skip straight to the main content of the page. This can also be especially useful to those who use screen readers.
Further information can be found on the RNIB - Web Access Centre websites.
How accessible this website is
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible:
- Some pages have duplicate titles.
- Some of our documents aren't fully accessible, including not being structured to work with screen readers
- Some of our documents do not have browser titles
- Some images do not contain alt text
- Some images contain text
- Some of our forms do not have text labels
- Some of our form fields do not use the 'autocomplete' attribute
- We still need to replace the captions on some of our YouTube videos
Feedback and contact information
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille:
call 01404 515616
Alternatively you can call us from 8.30am - 5pm, Monday to Friday on 01404 515616 (please ask for the communications team).
We’ll consider your request and get back to you in seven days.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, contact: email@example.com or call 01404 515616 and we will pass on your comments to our IT Provider “Strata Service Solutions Ltd”.
If you have made a complaint and you're not happy with our response contact the:
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the 'accessibility regulations').