Guide An overview of Housing Benefit

Show all parts of this guide

5. How to appeal against our decision including an overpayment

If we send you a decision letter, a penalty notice or tell you that you have been overpaid Housing Benefit that you don't understand or you think is wrong, you can ask for a more detailed explanation. This is known as a reconsideration.

If you want us to look at our decision again or you want to appeal, you must do so within one month of the date on the decision letter. If you are still not happy with the outcome of your reconsideration, you must appeal in writing telling us the reasons why. We will then submit your appeal to HM Courts & Tribunals Service.

Examples of decisions you can ask us to look at again:
• the amount of income, capital or rent we have used for your claim
• if you have been overpaid, how we have calculated the overpayment and who we can recover it from.

Examples of decisions you cannot ask us to look at again:
• if we should recover the overpayment
• how we choose to recover the overpayment

Email or
Write to Benefits, East Devon District Council, Blackdown House, Border Road, Heathpark Industrial Park, Honiton, EX14 1EJ.