Guide Exceptional Hardship Fund

Show all parts of this guide

1. Apply for an Exceptional Hardship Fund payment

Get help paying your Council Tax, through the Exceptional Hardship Fund

Are you struggling to pay your council tax, even though you have received a reduction of some sort?

If you are experiencing financial hardship then you can apply for this short-term emergency fund to meet the shortfall.

EHF will be awarded at our discretion after careful consideration of your individual circumstances. If your application is successful, it will usually be made as a one off payment direct to your council tax account, reducing the amount of council tax you have left to pay.

Please complete the online form by clicking on the blue start button.

If your housing benefits or Universal Credits do not cover you full rent you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment on the same form.

Data Protection

Find out about our Privacy Notices and how we will use information about you.

Start the journey


More info about the journey

Details of:

  • your total household income
  • you and your partner's savings
  • you or your partner's loans or debts

We will write and tell you our decision. If we award you an EHF, our letter will tell you how much we will pay and for how long. The EHF will be paid to your Council Tax account. 

We may require you to attend a money advice appointment.

When this content has been updated

Last updated 16 January 2023