Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) are for people receiving Housing Benefit or Universal Credit (that includes a Housing Cost element) who need financial help because their benefit does not cover their full rent.
Please complete the online form by clicking on the blue start button.
The money comes from a cash limited fund so an award of DHP is normally only paid for a limited period. You can find out more in our DHP policy.
We cannot pay DHPs:
- for service charges not covered by Housing Benefit or Universal Credit
- when your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit payments are suspended
- to cover a shortfall that is caused by the recovery of an overpayment of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit
If you also have a shortfall between your Council Tax and Council Tax Support, you can apply for a Exceptional Hardship Fund payment (EHF) on the same form.
Any personal information which you provide will be held and used by East Devon District Council for the purpose of processing your Housing Benefit.
- Your information may be provided to a third party acting on our behalf in processing your Housing Benefit.
- Your information may also be shared within East Devon District Council for the purposes of carrying out our lawful functions. Otherwise your personal information will not be disclosed to anybody outside East Devon District Council without your permission, unless there is a lawful reason to do so, for example disclosure is necessary for crime prevention or detection purposes.
- Your information will be held securely and will not be retained for any longer than is necessary.
There are a number of rights available to you in relation to our use of your personal information, depending on the reason for processing. Further detail about our use of your personal information can be found in the relevant Privacy Notice which can be accessed at eastdevon.gov.uk/privacy.
Start the journey
More info about the journey
- your total household income
- you and your partner's savings
- you or your partner's loans or debts
We will write and tell you our decision. If we award you a DHP, our letter will tell you how much we will pay and for how long. We normally pay your DHP with any Housing Benefit.
We may require you to attend a money advice appointment.
You have to apply online. There are no paper forms.
If you don't have a computer, you could visit Devon Libraries.
All library computers are free to use for library members who will need their membership card and access PIN.
Some libraries have computer facilities/aids to assist those with specific needs; contact the library to discuss your requirements before you visit.