An application must be made for approval under the building regulations in connection with any of the following:

  • the erection or extension of a building
  • the material alteration of a building
  • the provision or extension of a controlled service or fitting in or in connection with a building
  • work relating to the material change of use of a building
  • work involving the underpinning of a building
  • replacement windows

Under Part L of the building regulations, an application may also be required when renovating a thermal element such as the roof, external walls and ground floor.

Please contact us for further advice or have a look at our building control FAQ's.