1. The applicant is the person on whose behalf the work is being carried out, e.g. the land and/or the building’s owner.  The agent (if used) is the person who is submitting the application on behalf of the applicant and is the person who all correspondence will be sent to.

  2. Your application should be accompanied by a full set of plans (existing and proposed) and particulars in accordance with the provisions of Building Regulation 14. All plans should be marked with a unique reference number and clearly indicate different revisions.

  3. Subject to certain exceptions, a Full Plans submission attracts a charge payable by the person by whom or on whose behalf the work is to be carried out.  Most charges are payable in two stages.  The Plan charge must accompany the deposit of your application and the Inspection charge is payable only after the first site inspection of work has been carried out. We will send you an invoice for this amount. (Note: The Inspection charge is a single payment to cover site visits and associated work, as described in the inspection service plan).

    The fee payable can be confirmed by providing us with details of the proposed works.

    Cheques should be made payable to East Devon District Council.

  4. Details are required that show compliance with Reg 14 (3) (b) e.g. how the foundations will be constructed in a way that will not damage the sewer or lateral drain. Note: It is the responsibility of property owners to make diligent enquiries to determine whether the drainage in the vicinity of any proposed development is a public sewer or lateral drain under the control of the of the Water Authority and seek their consent to the ‘build over’ prior to construction – for further advice please call South West Water on 0344 346 2020 (Please note: 03 numbers are charges at standard rates and will be included in any free minutes in a mobile or landline phone contract).

  5. The Fire Authority will be consulted where the works relate to premises covered by the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. These include:

    • Offices & shops
    • Premises providing sleeping accommodation (not private dwellings)
    • Residential care
    • Small & medium places of assembly
    • Large places of assembly
    • Factories & warehouses
    • Theatres & cinemas
    • Educational premises
    • Healthcare premises (responsibility of the Department of Health)
    • Transport premises and facilities

    Note:  Single private dwellings are outside the scope of the RRO.

  6. These notes are for general guidance only; particulars regarding the deposit of plans are contained in Regulation 14 of the Building Regulations 2010 and, in respect of charges, in the Building (Local Authority Charges) Regulations 2010.

  7. Persons proposing to carry out building work or make a material change of use of a building are reminded that permission may be required under the Town and Country Planning Acts. Please call  01404 515616 to speak to the Planning Department for more information.

  8. New Dwellings - in relation to the erection of a dwelling, a statement is required to be provided relating to any Optional Requirement imposed under planning permission.
  9. The personal information you provide will be processed by the Council in connection with the relevant legislation and may be used in furtherance of Section 17 of the Crime and Disorder Act. Please note: the Council has legal obligations to protect and provide information under the Data Protection Act 1998, the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the Environmental Information Regulations 2004.

  10. The plans may be passed subject to conditions, unless that applicant withdraws their consent. The period for dealing with this application may be extended to 2 months from the date of deposit, unless the applicant withdraws their consent.

  11. If the work includes demolition of a building or part of a building, you may be required to submit a demolition notice as prescribed in section 81 of the Building Act 1984.

  12. Further information and advice concerning the Building Regulations can be obtained by contacting Building Control on 01395 517482 or emailing If in doubt, please ask.