13. Key Principles
We will recognise the following key principles common to all types of debt:
- The difference between priority and non priority debts (see appendix 1).
- To promote a professional, consistent and timely approach to recovery action.
- To maximise income by using the most appropriate and effective methods of debt recovery.
- To work with customers at the earliest stage to encourage debt prevention.
- To aim to clear annual charges within the year they are raised.
- To ensure that debts are recovered in accordance with legislation.
- To treat individuals fairly and consistently, in accordance with Human Rights, Data Protection and equalities legislation.