Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Guide Employing children

Show all parts of this guide

2. Work permits

Under these regulations any child who helps in a trade or occupation, even if they are family members and/or don't get paid for it, are deemed to be employed. If you employ children they must have a work permit, which you must complete and send to Devon County Council.

Within one week of employing a child an employer has a legal responsibility to send to Devon County Council written notification of the employment.

An employer must keep a written record (including name, address, date of birth, occupation and hours of work) relating to every child employed.

If you do not have a work permit for the child, they probably will not be covered by any of your insurances.

If you do not comply with the byelaws you can be prosecuted and receive a fine of up to £1,000.

Application forms and more information on this must be sought from Devon County Council at 0345 155 1019.