You will need a licence if you want to sell animals as pets.

Pets can be sold in shops, but also from some homes and other business premises.

You can't sell animals as pets in public places - for example, from a market stall.


You won't be given a licence if you’ve committed any animal health or welfare offences, or if you’ve been banned from:

  • running a riding establishment
  • running a pet shop
  • keeping animals, including in a boarding kennel or cattery

Applications, renewals, surrendering and changing licences

Please see the following to apply, renew, surrender or change your licence: 

Please note that licence fees apply


Before you get a licence your premises will be inspected by an environmental health officer.

Before we can give you a licence you'll need to show us that:

  • you are qualified to keep animals
  • the accommodation will be suitable for the animals
  • you’ll provide enough food and drink and visit the animals regularly where necessary
  • you’ll take reasonable precautions to prevent the spread of infectious diseases
  • mammals won’t be sold if they’re too young
  • you have appropriate plans in case of fire or other emergencies

You'll also need to keep a register with the description of any animal received on the premises, it's age and sex, when you received it, when you sold it and where it came from. This register must be available for us or our vet to see during any visit.

You must not sell any animals to children under the age of 12.

We can refuse to give you a licence if we don't feel the conditions for the animals are right. We may ask for additional conditions if we think the welfare of the animals or the safety of the public require them.

Displaying your licence

You must display your licence or a copy of it at your premises so that it can be read by customers or inspectors.


Please see complaints about a licensed premises for animals.

Public register

Animal License activities and Establishments