1. General standards
- Test all the standard gas appliances and repair or replace them as required. Carry out a gas pipework tightness test to make sure that the system is safe. A copy of the gas certificate will be left in your property for you.
- Test the electrical circuitry to comply with latest regulations and make sure all switches, light fittings and sockets are securely fixed and safe. If the property requires re-wiring we will decide whether this needs to be done while it is empty, or whether it can wait and be done at a later date as part of our future programme of works. A copy of the electrical certificate will be left in your property for you.
- Make sure the water supply to the property is functioning properly.
- Make sure there is a suitable means of heating your home.
- Clean the property (see the cleaning standard below) and leave it clear of any rubbish.
- Make sure all internal doors are in good working order.
- Change the front and rear door locks.
- Check all windows to make sure they open and close properly and that the glazing is sound. All opening restrictors are also checked.
- Check safety glass in all doors and windows and bring them up to standard where necessary.
- Make sure all floors are in good condition and level to receive floor covering.
- Make sure all plasterwork is sound.
- Undertake an asbestos survey in line with the regulations and undertake any work recommended.
- Remove any hazardous materials found at the property.
- Provide a copy of the Energy Performance Certificate.
- Make sure hand rails and banisters are complete.
- Check that existing external grab rails to entrance doors are safe and secure.
- Remove fire places and block up and vent where necessary.
In addition, for sheltered housing properties we will:
- If feasible, move the electrical fuse box to a lower level to give ease of access to older and disabled tenants.
- Provide a key safe for sheltered housing tenants.