Guide What to expect from your new home

Show all parts of this guide

1. General standards

We will:

  • Test all the standard gas appliances and repair or replace them as required. Carry out a gas pipework tightness test to make sure that the system is safe. A copy of the gas certificate will be left in your property for you.
  • Test the electrical circuitry to comply with latest regulations and make sure all switches, light fittings and sockets are securely fixed and safe. If the property requires re-wiring we will decide whether this needs to be done while it is empty, or whether it can wait and be done at a later date as part of our future programme of works. A copy of the electrical certificate will be left in your property for you.
  • Make sure the water supply to the property is functioning properly.
  • Make sure there is a suitable means of heating your home.
  • Clean the property (see the cleaning standard below) and leave it clear of any rubbish.
  • Make sure all internal doors are in good working order.
  • Change the front and rear door locks.
  • Check all windows to make sure they open and close properly and that the glazing is sound. All opening restrictors are also checked. 
  • Check safety glass in all doors and windows and bring them up to standard where necessary.
  • Make sure all floors are in good condition and level to receive floor covering.
  • Make sure all plasterwork is sound.
  • Undertake an asbestos survey in line with the regulations and undertake any work recommended.
  • Remove any hazardous materials found at the property.
  • Provide a copy of the Energy Performance Certificate.
  • Make sure hand rails and banisters are complete.
  • Check that existing external grab rails to entrance doors are safe and secure.
  • Remove fire places and block up and vent where necessary.

 In addition, for sheltered housing properties we will:

  • If feasible, move the electrical fuse box to a lower level to give ease of access to older and disabled tenants.
  •  Provide a key safe for sheltered housing tenants.