You can apply for a club premises certificate if you’re a qualifying members club and you want to provide licensable activities to your club members and their guests.

The relevant licensable activities are:

  • the supply of alcohol to club members and their guests
  • the provision of regulated entertainment to club members and their guests.  This includes: 
    • theatrical performances
    • showing of films
    • indoor sporting events
    • boxing or wrestling (indoor or outdoor)
    • live music
    • recorded music
    • dance

What is a qualifying club?

To qualify for a certificate, your club must make sure that:

  • it has premises that are occupied and used regularly for club purposes
  • alcohol and entertainment is only provided to members and their guests
  • only someone 18 or older who is nominated by the club can serve alcohol or buy it for the club
  • there is no arrangement for anyone to benefit financially from buying or selling alcohol
  • new members wait two days from their application before getting membership privileges
  • it is established and conducted in good faith
  • it has at least 25 members

You can read the exact conditions for qualifying as a club premises in our club premises guidance.

Why hold a club premises certificate rather than a premises licence?

The benefits of holding a club premises certificate are that:

  • nobody needs to hold a personal licence to sell or supply alcohol
  • you don't need to name a designated premises supervisor
  • police and licensing officers have more limited rights of entry because the premises are private

If you are not a qualifying members club or if you decide you want to offer your facilities commercially for use by the general public then you'll need to apply for a premises licence.

If you are wanting to carry out licensable activities for an event and it will last for less than seven consecutive days and is for less than 499 people then you can apply for a temporary event notice.

How to apply

If you are a qualifying club then you can apply for a club premises certificate.

If you are not a qualifying club but you still want to provide licensable activities then you will need to apply for a premises licence.

Displaying your certificate

You must prominently display the club premises certificate in your club.

Length of licence

Most club premises certificates have an unlimited duration but you will have to pay an annual fee.


You can find out more in our guide for club premises.

More guidance for club secretaries on their duties under the Licensing Act is available in our GN10 - advice for club secretaries.

Further guidance about the effect of the Licensing Act and the licensable activities is in our GN1 guide to the Licensing Act 2003.



If you have an issue with a licensed premises there are different people you should contact depending on the problem.  

Public register

You can view details of existing club premises certificates and a list of current applications on our licensing public register.