If you want to make changes to your premises licence then it's likely that you'll need to apply for a variation. There are two types of variation application, a full variation or a minor variation.  

The type of application you need to apply for will depend on the change you want to make and if it is likely to impact on the licensing objectives. These are:  

  • the prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • the prevention of public nuisance
  • the protection of children from harm

If the changes are low impact and do not affect the licensing objectives then you can apply for a minor variation.  For example, if you want to:

  • make minor changes to the structure or layout of the premises
  • make small adjustments to licensing hours (but not extend hours for the sale of alcohol)
  • remove out of date or irrelevant conditions or add extra conditions
  • add certain licensable activities (for example, adding recorded music to an existing premises licence if other activities are already allowed at that time)

An application for a minor variation can't be used to:

  • extend the period for which the licence has effect
  • vary substantially the premises to which it relates
  • specify an individual as the premises supervisor (you'll need to apply to vary the designated premises supervisor)
  • add the sale by retail of alcohol as an activity
  • authorise the sale by retail of alcohol between 11pm and 7am or
  • increase the amount of time on any day during which alcohol may be sold by retail or supplied

If the changes are not minor and could have an impact the licensing objectives then you'll need to apply for a full variation.  However, if you're planning on making significant changes to your premises or if you are changing the nature of your business you may need to apply for a new premises licence. If you're not sure what type of application you need to apply for you may wish to seek legal advice.

How to apply

You can apply for a minor variation to a premises licence online or in paper form. 

Please be aware that we will consult with any responsible authorities we consider may have an interest in the application.  This could include the Home Office (Immigration Enforcement).


Only the premises licence holder or their agent can apply for a variation.


Further guidance about premises licences, the effect of the Act and the licensable activities is in our GN1 guide to the Licensing Act 2003.


Licensing Act 2003

The Legislative Reform (Minor Variations to Premises Licences and Club Premises Certificates) Order 2009


If you have an issue with a licensed premises there are different people you should contact depending on the problem.  

Public register

You can view details of existing premises licences and a list of current applications on our licensing public register.