You’ll need a premises licence if you want to run any of the following types of premises:

  • bingo hall
  • betting shop
  • betting (track) – these are sporting venues not just race tracks
  • amusement arcade (for adults only, or where adult machines are provided)

How to apply

If you want to run a bingo hall, betting shop, betting track, adult gaming centre, family entertainment centre or casino you will need to apply for a premises licence. 

You'll need to complete an application form and send this to us. 

If you're applying to licence a vessel then you should contact licensing@eastdevon.gov.uk to obtain an application form. You'll need to tell us additional information about the vessel.

When you fill in the application form you'll need to give:

  • your details
  • details of the premises and what type of premises licence you are applying for
  • times of operation
  • a detailed plan of the premises.  You can find out more about this in our guidance for plans.  There are different requirements depending on the type of premises

Types of premises licence

There are five types of premises licences:

  • casino premises licence
  • bingo premises licence
  • betting premises licence, including tracks and premises used by betting intermediaries
  • adult gaming centres (for category B3, C and D gaming machines)
  • family entertainment centres (for category C and D gaming machines)

If you want to run an unlicensed family entertainment centre you can apply for a permit instead.  Unlicensed family entertainment centres can only have category D gaming machines.  


You must put up public notices at the premises giving details of the application.  

A copy of that notice must also be advertised in a local newspaper.

More information and a template to follow are in our guidance for the display of notices.

Responsible authorities

You'll need to give notice of the application to each of the other responsible authorities.  You can request the notice form for a single or multiple applicants by emailing licensing@eastdevon.gov.uk or these are available on the Gambling Commission website. You'll need to send a copy to each of the responsible authorities listed in our guide.


You'll be charged a fee for this application. Please make sure you are aware of how much this will cost.

Length of licence

Most premises licences have an unlimited duration but you'll have to pay an annual fee.

Data protection

Any personal information which you provide will be held and used by East Devon District Council for the purpose of the Licensing Service to process your gambling premises licence application and administer any gambling premises licence which is granted. Your information may also be shared within East Devon District Council for the purposes of carrying out our lawful functions. Otherwise your personal information will not be disclosed to anybody outside East Devon District Council without your permission, unless there is a lawful reason to do so, for example disclosure is necessary for crime prevention or detection purposes. Your information will be held securely and will not be retained for any longer than is necessary. There are a number of rights available to you in relation to our use of your personal information, depending on the reason for processing. Further detail about our use of your personal information can be found in the relevant privacy notice


Further information about premises licences and how to apply is in our guide to applying for gambling act licences.



If you have an issue with a premises that is licensed for gambling then you can tell us about this.  Please telephone us or send us an email. 

Public register

You can view details of existing gambling premises licences and a list of current applications on our licensing public register.