Guide Self-build and custom build

Show all parts of this guide

3. What is the self-build and custom house building register?

Since 2015 Local Authorities have had a statutory obligation to maintain a self and custom build register - Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 (as amended by the Housing and Planning Act 2016).

The Self and Custom Build Register is a register of the number of individuals and associations of individuals who are seeking to acquire serviced plots of land in the local authority area for self and custom housebuilding.

The Self and Custom Build Register is intended to give a general indication of local demand and there is no requirement to match permissioned land to individuals on the register.

The East Devon Register

Our register is divided into two.  There is a local connection test for inclusion on Part 1, but anyone who meets the national criteria will be included on Part 2.

The application form for entry onto the register splits the required information into two sections.

Section A deals with national criteria for inclusion on the register.

Section B deals with the local eligibility criteria we have set.

In order to be included in 'Part 1' of the register, the criteria set in both Section A and Section B of the form need to be met.  This is important because the Act places a duty on us to grant enough 'development permissions of serviced plots of land' to meet the demand shown on Part 1 of the register (but not specifically for those on the register).  Applicants who meet the criteria shown in Section A, but not in Section B will be included in Part 2 of the register.  This will give us an indication of the overall interest in self-build in East Devon, although we will only need to meet the demand shown in Part 1.

To be included on Part 2 of the register, you need to:

  • Be aged 18 or over;
  • Be a British citizen, a national of an EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland; and
  • Want to acquire a serviced plot of land in East Devon for your own self-build or custom housebuilding.

To be included on Part 1 of the register you need to meet both the above 'national' criteria and the following 'local' criteria:


  • you must be or have been a member of the regular armed forces during the last 3 years as set out in Section 374 Armed Forces Act 2006 - UK Parliament.  If you meet this requirement and the 'national' requirements you will be included on Part 1 of the register.


  • you must wish to build a home to occupy as your sole or main residence

and either

  • you must have a permanent job in East Devon for at least 16 hours a week


  • you must have lived permanently in East Devon and been on the electoral roll for at least three years