8. Scuba diving, snorkelling and spear fishing
The undersea environment of the reefs of East Devon can be a magical and fascinating place, but exploring it is not without risk so please follow this guidance to help you stay safe.
• Never go alone, you are much safer in a group where people will know if anything goes wrong.
• Make sure you know what you are doing, there are many dive schools around the coast who can help you get the right training.
• Always use a safety buoy or safety boat to alert other water users to your presence, and wear a high vis head covering so that you are visible when you surface.
• Even on a hot day the water at depth will be much colder so always where a wet suit to help you maintain your core body temperature.
• To find out more about staying safe underwater checkout this RNLI guide.