1. Why has the council introduced this policy and associated objectives?
This document replaces our previous policy and sets out:
- How we will meet our legal duties under the equality legislation, and
- how we will promote equality and diversity as a community leader, service provider and employer.
In our role as community leader, our values underpin the principles and standards that guide us in planning and providing services and in the way we treat people. Our guiding principles and values underpin everything we do and set out how we will go about our day to day work.
- Promote equal access and inclusivity for everyone in East Devon.
- Regularly consult and engage with our communities on key issues and service changes; and particularly when we run regeneration projects and activities that involve our tenants.
- Support initiatives which specifically promote the health and well-being of our residents and provide help and advice at the earliest opportunity.
- Deliver quality, accessible services - a great service, first time and every time
- Be open, clear and transparent
- Treat others and their opinions with respect at all times
- Work towards reducing our carbon footprint and enhancing our environment
- Operate as one council team.
This policy sets out our commitment to creating an environment which is free from prejudice and discrimination and we will work hard to promote equality. We aim to reflect, promote and respond to the needs of the community by listening to and involving local people and partners in our work. This builds on our systems thinking work of designing services to deliver ‘what matters’ to our customers and residents.