10. What happens after court?
When the magistrates grant a liability order we:
- will add a cost of £10 to your debt
- have additional powers to recover the unpaid Council Tax
- can demand certain information from you which you are legally required to give. You can provide this information online now.
Our extra powers include:
Attachment of earnings order
An attachment of earnings order means we can order your employer to deduct the amount you owe direct from your wages/salary and pay it straight to us. The amount your employer deducts for us will depend on your salary level. The deductions are:
From monthly earnings:
- Up to £300 - nothing
- Over £300 and up to £550 - 3 per cent
- Over £550 and up to £740 - 5 per cent
- Over £740 and up to £900 - 7 per cent
- Over £900 and up to £1,420 - 12 per cent
- Over £1,420 and up to £2,020 - 17 per cent
- Over £2,020 - 17 per cent in respect of the first £2,020 and 50 per cent in respect of the remainder.
From weekly earnings:
- Up to £75 - nothing
- Over £75 and up to £135 - 3 per cent
- Over £135 and up to £185 - 5 per cent
- Over £185 and up to £225 - 7 per cent
- Over £225 and up to £355 - 12 per cent
- Over £355 and up to £505 - 17 per cent
- Over £505 - 17 per cent in respect of the first £505 and 50 per cent in respect of the remainder.
From daily earnings:
- Up to £11 - nothing
- Over £11 and up to £20 - 3 per cent
- Over £20 and up to £27 - 5 per cent
- Over £27 and up to £33 - 7 per cent
- Over £33 and up to £52 - 12 per cent
- Over £52 and up to £72 - 17 per cent
- Over £72 - 17 per cent in respect of the first £72 and 50 per cent in respect of the remainder.
In addition, your employer may also charge you a further £1 towards their costs in making each deduction and sending it to us.
Employers will find more information in the Attachments of Earnings detailed guidance notes.
Deductions from benefit
If you get Income Support (IS), Job Seeker's Allowance (JSA), Employment Support Allowance (ESA) or Guarantee Pension Credit (GPC), we may be able to apply for deductions to be made direct from your benefit.