Guide Animal boarding

Show all parts of this guide

5. Apply and renew licences for a dog home boarding establishment

The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018

Licence applications

If you want to run a business looking after a small number of other peoples' dogs in your own home you will need to apply for a home boarding licence.  Complete the application form and email it to See running a dog or cat boarding business for more information.

Licence renewals

If you hold a home boarding establishment licence this will need to be renewed before the expiry date each year.  Please make sure you have applied to renew your licence at least one month before it expires to give us time to arrange the inspection. You can do this by completing the application form and emailing it to

Start the journey


More info about the journey

You will need to pay a fee for your licence. Please make sure you are aware of how much this will cost

  • You will need a credit or debit card to pay by phone - call 01395 571517
  • You will need to provide details of your current insurance for the business

Any personal information which you provide will be held and used by East Devon District Council for the purpose of issuing you with a licence for home boarding and on the basis of public task.

Who will receive or see my personal information?

Your information may also be shared within East Devon District Council for the purposes of carrying out our lawful functions. Otherwise your personal information will not be disclosed to anybody outside East Devon District Council without your permission, unless there is a lawful reason to do so, for example disclosure is necessary for crime prevention or detection purposes. Your information will be held securely and will not be retained for any longer than is necessary. There are a number of rights available to you in relation to our use of your personal information, depending on the reason for processing. Further detail about our use of your personal information can be found in the relevant Privacy Notice.