Guide Animal boarding

Show all parts of this guide

1. Running a dog or cat boarding business


A licence under The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 is required by anyone who home boards dogs, runs a dog day care centre, or kennels dogs or cats.  A licence is also needed by most people who breed dogs for sale on a commercial basis.  These licenses are issued by the Environmental Health team at East Devon District Council and will include conditions which must be complied with.

The conditions are designed to ensure that standards of health, safety and welfare of the dogs or cats are met. They include requirements to ensure that animals are:

  • kept in suitable accommodation
  • provided with adequate food, drink and bedding
  • regularly exercised
  • safeguarded in an emergency
  • protected from infectious disease


You won't be given a licence if you’ve committed any animal health or welfare offences, or if you’ve been banned from:

  • running a riding establishment
  • running a pet shop
  • keeping animals, including in a boarding kennel or cattery

Applications, renewals, surrendering and changing licences

Please see the following to apply, renew, surrender or change your licence: 

Please note that licence fees apply


Please report concerns about a licensed premises for animals either online or by contacting the environmental health team by phone, 01395 571517, or email


  • Before a new licence can be issued the premises must be inspected by an officer from the environmental health team
  • Inspections are also carried out before the licence is renewed, and during the year, particularly if improvements are needed


There will be a fee for each application or renewal.  See licence charges for animal boarding establishments.

Public Register

Animal License activities and Establishments