Guide Grants and loans

Show all parts of this guide

3. Disabled Facilities Grants overview

Finding local service and support

If you, or someone who lives with you, is disabled, you may be able to get help to make life easier and safer.

By answering a few questions about your current situation, you can find out about equipment, services and support to help you live independently. Don’t worry, you will not be asked your name, or address and none of the information you give will be kept.

Self-help tool to find local services and support

Apply for a Council Tax Disabled Facilities Discount

We also have a new web form called Apply for a Council Tax Disabled Facilities discount please go to this page for more information and to apply for this discount to your Council Tax bill.

Who is entitled to the grant

If you are disabled, you may be entitled to a mandatory Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG). The grant is a sum of money to help you pay for adaptations to your home that will help you live with more independence.

To receive a grant, it doesn't matter whether you are a home owner, live with a home owner or live in a rented property. 

If you are awarded a grant, you will have to agree to binding terms and conditions.

What you will get

In England the most we can pay you is £30,000 but you might not be eligible to receive the full amount.

Grants are means tested to assess if you need to make a contribution towards the cost of works. 

Passported applications

Some applications will be Passported. 

This means that you will not have to pay for works up to the value of £30,000.

Whether your application is Passported, will depend on:

  • your age
  • if you receive a qualifying passporting benefit

Adaptations for people under the age of 18 years are automatically Passported.

Examples of passporting benefits are:

  • Universal Credit
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowances (ESA)
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Guarantee Pension Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit (where annual income for the purposes of assessing tax credit entitlement is less than £15,050)

You must provide recent evidence of being in receipt of a passporting benefit.