Guide Tenant rights and responsibility

Show all parts of this guide

3. Running a business

We recognise that many tenants may want to work from home and aim to encourage this wherever possible. If you would like to run a business from your home please write to our estate management team for written consent before you start. We will not unreasonably withhold permission but we are likely to refuse if it will cause a nuisance to neighbours, damage the property or does not meet the requirements of other agencies.

There are a variety of businesses which might be appropriate to run from your home such as child-minding services or typing services.  However, we are likely to refuse permission for any business which involves repairing motor vehicles, storing hazardous materials or involves customers or clients visiting or delivering to your home in such numbers as will disturb your neighbours.

You should obtain any necessary permission from other agencies such as planning permission or a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. You must meet any health and safety requirements. You should also notify our council tax and business rates section and, if applicable, housing benefits.