If a premises licence holder:

  • dies
  • becomes mentally incapable
  • becomes insolvent or,
  • is no longer entitled to work in the UK

the licence will lapse and a transfer application or interim authority notice must be applied for within 28 consecutive days.

A transfer application transfers the licence to a new licence holder.

An interim authority notice allows the person giving the notice to act as licence holder and continue to carry out the licensable activities at the premises for up to three months.  

A formal transfer application must be made before the end of the three months or the licence will lapse.

How to apply

You can apply for an interim authority notice online or in paper version.


An interim authority notice can only be applied for by:

  • someone who is carrying on or proposing to carry on a business in the premises to which the application relates, or
  • a person connected to the former holder of the licence (for example, a person with power of attorney) 

Individual applicants must be aged 18 or over.

Displaying your licence

You must display the licence summary at your premises where it can be easily seen. The licence will name the premises licence holder.

The other pages of the licence should be kept safely at the premises. Police or council officers can ask to inspect them at any time.


Further guidance about premises licences, the effect of the Act and the licensable activities is in our GN1 guide to the Licensing Act 2003.



If you have an issue with a licensed premises there are different people you should contact depending on the problem.  

Public register

You can view details of existing premises licences and a list of current applications on our licensing public register.