For the latest Government guidance relating to the temporary alcohol licensing provisions in the Business and Planning Act 2020, please see the Government website. These new provisions may make it unnecessary for you to need to vary you premises licence. 


If you want to make changes to your premises licence then it's likely that you'll need to apply for a variation.  There are two types of variation application, a full variation or a minor variation.  

The type of application you need to apply for will depend on the change you want to make and if it is likely to impact on the licensing objectives. These are:  

  • the prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • the prevention of public nuisance
  • the protection of children from harm

If the changes could impact on the licensing objectives then you must apply for a full variation.  For example, if you want to:

  • extend the opening hours of the premises
  • make major changes to the premises or change the layout of the bar area
  • add the sale by retail of alcohol
  • authorise the sale of alcohol between 11pm and 7am or
  • increase the number of hours that alcohol may be sold on any day 

If the changes are small and do not impact the licensing objectives then you can apply for a minor variation.

Please be aware that if you are planning on making significant changes to your premises or if you are changing the nature of your business you may need to apply for a new premises licence.

If you're not sure what type of application to apply for then please telephone us for advice.

How to apply

You can apply for a full variation to a premises licence online or in paper form.


Only the premises licence holder or their agent can apply for a variation.


Further guidance about premises licences, the effect of the Act and the licensable activities is in our GN1 guide to the Licensing Act 2003.


Licensing Act 2003


If you have an issue with a licensed premises there are different people you should contact depending on the problem.  

Public register

You can view details of existing premises licences and a list of current applications on our licensing public register.