Guide Temporary event notices

Show all parts of this guide

5. Number of notices you can apply for

You'll need a separate TEN for each event you hold even if it's on the same premises.

You can serve up to five TENs a year (of which two may be late notices).

If you have a personal licence to sell alcohol, you can serve up to 50 TENs a year (of which 10 may be late notices).

A single premises can have up to 15 notices applied for in one year, as long as:

  • the total length of the events is not more than 21 days. Please note: events that carry on after midnight will count as two days.
  • the person serving the notice doesn't exceed the amount of TENs they can serve in a year.
  • There must be a minimum of 24 hours between each event notified by an event organiser at any premises.
  • Multiple TENS can be submitted at the same time but each event is a separate TEN with a separate fee payable. The limits set out above cannot be exceeded.

Where premises are available for hire by organisations or individuals for their own events, premises owners and operators must be aware that TENs submitted will be counted under the limits set down in the Act.  It is therefore recommended that a booking agreement is used to make sure that all TENS made in respect of premises are made with the agreement of the premises owner or operator. This is particularly important for village halls and similar premises.