It is not uncommon for building work to be undertaken without the Council being notified, and without the relevant Building Regulations application having been deposited. This is usually discovered when the property is being sold.

Works undertaken without an application are termed unauthorised works

The Regularisation procedure allows the Local Authority to assess building works that have been carried out without a valid Building Regulations application. Once the works have been assessed and any necessary remedial works carried out, a Regularisation Certificate is issued.

An application for Regularisation can be made for all types of controllable building works, where;

  • the work commenced after 11 November 1985 and;
  • the work fell within the scope of the regulations;
  • a Building Regulations application was not submitted at the time; or
  • notice of commencement was not given

It is important to note that an owner is under no obligation to make an application for Regularisation Certificate, although in order to sell a property it is often necessary.

This procedure does not replace the enforcement powers already available to the Local Authority and does not provide a short cut to those who fail to follow the correct procedure.

The costs associated with a Regularisation can be found on our scale of charges.

It is important to note that when you submit a Regularisation application you may be asked to provide details of construction, or to expose elements of the construction, so that we can see if the work carried out complies with the Building Regulations before we can issue a certificate.

You can submit a regularisation application by using our online form, or you can contact us on 01395 517482 or for other options.