Guide Apply for or cancel a Council Tax discount or exemption

Show all parts of this guide

2. Unoccupied property - no one lives here

Before completing the online form, check that you qualify for a discount or exemption:

  1. Unoccupied and unfurnished properties - class C discount
  2. Unoccupied property undergoing or requiring major structural alterations or repairs - class D discount
  3. Annexes (unoccupied properties)
  4. Exemptions (unoccupied properties)

By law you must tell within 21 days of any change that may affect your entitlement to a discount or exemption. To falsely claim is a criminal offence and we may prosecute.

Please complete the online form by clicking on the blue start button below.

Data Protection

Find out about our Privacy Notices and how we will use information about you.

Start the journey


More info about the journey

  • the Council Tax account number for the property you want to claim for/cancel the discount or exemption. You can get this from the Council Tax bill
  • the postcode and address of the property where you are applying for or cancelling the discount or exemption
  • your correspondence address. Where you are declaring that the property is empty we need a different address where you can be contacted. Your claim will be invalid without a correspondence address

When we receive your completed form, we sometimes need to visit to check whether you qualify.

  • If you qualify, we will send you a revised bill.
  • If you do not qualify, we will notify you by email, phone or letter.
  • When we cancel your discount or exemption, we will send you a revised bill.