The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018

Licence applications

If you want to run a kennel or cattery you will need to apply for a licence.  Complete the Dog Boarding Application Form or Cat Boarding Application Form and return by email to   See running a dog or cat boarding business for more information.

Licence renewals

Licences can be valid for one to three years, depending on the standard.  You will need to apply to renew your licence at least 3 months before expiry if you want to keep running the business. You can do this by completing a new Dog Boarding or Cat Boarding application form and returning it by email to


  • You will need to pay a fee for your licence. Please make sure you are aware of how much this will cost
  • You will need a credit or debit card to pay by phone - call 01395 571517
  • You will need to provide details of your current insurance for the business

Any personal information which you provide will be held and used by East Devon District Council for the purpose of issuing you with a licence for pet sales and on the basis of public task.

Who will receive or see my personal information?

Your information may also be shared within East Devon District Council for the purposes of carrying out our lawful functions. Otherwise your personal information will not be disclosed to anybody outside East Devon District Council without your permission, unless there is a lawful reason to do so, for example disclosure is necessary for crime prevention or detection purposes. Your information will be held securely and will not be retained for any longer than is necessary. There are a number of rights available to you in relation to our use of your personal information, depending on the reason for processing. Further detail about our use of your personal information can be found in the relevant Privacy Notice which can be accessed here.

Inspection of premises

Following your application we will arrange for an officer to inspect the premises.

The licence will then either be granted and we'll send you your licence in the post or it may be refused or have additional conditions added to it.

If your application is likely to be refused or have additional conditions added we will contact you.