2. Apply for a personal licence
How to apply
You can apply for a personal licence online. You'll need to be 18 years or older to apply for a personal licence.
What you'll need
You'll be asked to upload digital copies of the following documents with your application:
- your licensing qualification certificate. All personal licence holders must hold an accredited personal licence qualification obtained through an accredited qualification provider.
- a criminal conviction certificate or criminal record certificate or the results or a subject access search of the police national computer by the national intelligence service - this must be less than one month old on the day you submit your application. We have to tell the police about any relevant unspent convictions associated with an application. We also have to tell the Secretary of State if you have any relevant immigration offences or are required to pay an immigration penalty. Currently a basic criminal conviction record can only be obtained from GOV.UK on payment of a fee.
- a photograph of yourself, which has been endorsed on the back as a true likeness of yourself by a solicitor or notary, a person of standing in the community or any individual with a professional qualification. The photograph must be:
- Taken against a light background so that the applicant’s features are distinguishable and contrast against the background
- 45 millimetres by 35 millimetres
- Full face uncovered and without sunglasses and, unless the applicant wears a head covering due to their religious beliefs, without a head covering
- copies of documents which demonstrate your right to work in the UK. Your right to work in the UK will be checked as part of the application process and this could involve us checking your immigration status with the Home Office.
You'll be charged a fee for this application. Please make sure you are aware of how much this will cost.
Any personal information which you provide will be held and used by East Devon District Council for the purpose of the licensing service to process and administer your application for a personal licence. Your information may also be shared within East Devon District Council for the purposes of carrying out our lawful functions. Otherwise your personal information will not be disclosed to anybody outside East Devon District Council without your permission, unless there is a lawful reason to do so, for example disclosure is necessary for crime prevention or detection purposes. Your information will be held securely and will not be retained for any longer than is necessary. There are a number of rights available to you in relation to our use of your personal information, depending on the reason for processing. Further detail about our use of your personal information can be found in the relevant privacy notice