If you want to make changes to your club premises certificate then it's likely that you'll need to apply for a variation.  There are two types of variation application, a full variation or a minor variation.  

The type of application you need to apply for will depend on the change you want to make and if it's likely to impact on the licensing objectives. These are:  

  • the prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • the prevention of public nuisance
  • the protection of children from harm

If the changes are low impact and don't affect the licensing objectives then you can apply for a minor variation.  For example, if you want to:

  • make minor changes to the structure or layout of the premises
  • make small adjustments to licensing hours (but not extend hours for the supply of alcohol)
  • remove out of date or irrelevant conditions or add extra conditions
  • add certain licensable activities (for example, adding recorded music to an existing club premises certificate if other activities are already allowed at that time)

If the changes are greater and could impact the licensing objectives then you'll need to apply for a full variation.

Please be aware that if you are planning on making significant changes to your premises or if you are changing the nature of your business you may need to apply for a new club premises certificate

If you're not sure what type of application you need to apply for then please telephone us for advice.

How to apply

You can apply for a minor variation to a club premises certificate online or in paper form.


Only the club premises certificate holder or their agent can apply for a variation.


 You can find out more in our guide to minor variations.

Further guidance about club premises certificates, the effect of the Act and the licensable activities is in our GN1 guide to the Licensing Act 2003 and our general guidance for clubs.


Licensing Act 2003

The Legislative Reform (Minor Variations to Premises Licences and Club Premises Certificates) Order 2009


If you have an issue with a licensed premises there are different people you should contact depending on the problem.  

Public register

You can view details of existing club premises certificates and a list of current applications on our licensing public register.