Guide Charitable collections

Show all parts of this guide

1. Apply for a charitable street collection


If you want to carry out a charitable street collection in East Devon you'll need to apply for a permit.


If you are busking to collect money for charity you will need to apply for a street collection permit

Direct debit collections

This Council has not signed up to the Institute of Fundraising Site Management Agreement, but we are happy to place any collection dates in our street collection diary and provide information about other bookings to avoid any potential clashes.


Before you apply you'll need to read our street collection regulations and our street collections policy.

How to apply

You can apply for a charitable street collection permit online.

Before you apply you'll need to email us to make sure that the collection area and date you want is available. If it is available we can give you a provisional booking. 

We must receive your application at least 28 days before the collection date

When you fill in the application you'll need to tell us:

  • your details
  • the charity, fund or organisation to benefit
  • your preferred dates, hours and location for collecting
  • if you are promoting this collection alongside a house-to- house collection
  • how many people you plan to authorise as collectors 

Data Protection

Find out about our Privacy Notices and how we will use information about you

What you'll need to do after the collection

You'll need to supply a return for the collection giving an account of the monies raised.  You'll need to give this to us within one month of the collection date. 

The return must be certified by a qualified accountant as set out in regulation 16 of our street collection regulations.

Start the journey


More info about the journey

When completing the application form you will need details of the charity or organisation you are collecting for, including registered charity number if it is a registered charity.

If you are a business collecting on behalf of a charity you will also need to attach a letter of authority from the charity.

When we receive your application we'll check it to make sure it's been completed correctly. We'll contact you if there is anything else we need.

We'll send you your street collection permit by email for you to print off. Should you be unable to print the permit please let us know and we will arrange to send it by post.  Please be aware that this will take longer to reach you.