Guide Information and how to apply for street trading consent

Show all parts of this guide

1. Information about street trading


Street trading is the selling of or offering to sell things in the street.  A street includes:

  • Any road, footway, beach or other area to which the public have access without payment
  • A service area as defined in section 329 of the Highways Act 1980

This also includes any part of a street.


From the 2 October 2017 street trading will be possible across East Devon as long as we have given you our consent. 

There are some streets in Sidmouth where street trading is not allowed at any time, these are called prohibited streets

Charter Markets

Honiton and Axminster town markets have established historic charter rights which allow them to hold certain markets.  This means that these markets don't need a street trading consent.


Before making an application you'll need to read our street trading policy and make sure that you can meet all of the requirements. 

Land Ownership

If you wish to trade on private land then you'll need to obtain full permission from whoever owns that land.

For information about the use of council owned land, please contact our Events department.  You can telephone them on 01395 517528 or email:

For information about the use of any highway you'll need to contact Devon County Council Highways Department to get their consent.  You can telephone them on 0345 155 1004 or email:


There are some types of street trading that legally don't need consent.  These are:

  • Shops and petrol filling stations that sell goods in the street adjoining their premises
  • Pedlars
  • Roundsmen
  • Markets or fairs where the right is granted through any enactment or order.  This includes the Honiton and Axminster Charter Markets

There are also some activities that we have chosen to exempt through our policy.  This means that you don't need our consent for:

  • School, church or village fetes organised by Town or Parish Councils
  • Funfairs or circuses where street trading is a small part of the event
  • Non- commercial car boot sales
  • Selling items like fruit, vegetables and eggs from your home
  • Activities that are so minor in nature that the Strategic Lead - Governance and Licensing or Licensing Manager don't consider consent necessary

If you are running a stall which doesn't sell anything such as an educational, information or charity stand then you won't need a street trading consent.

If you're carrying out a charitable street collection including those with one or two tables selling items to raise money solely for the charity then you won't need a street trading consent.  You will however need a charitable street collection permit

How to apply

If you want to apply to trade on one of our consent streets you'll need to apply for a street trading consent.

If you want to apply to trade on the seafront at Sidmouth Folk Week you'll need to go to our folk week street trading page.  This page is updated when applications are open.


If you have an issue with a street trader you can email us at with the details. 

You can also contact us if you want to know if someone has been granted a street trading consent.