Guide Information and how to apply for street trading consent

Show all parts of this guide

4. Apply for a block street trading consent

Block Consent

Please read our information about street trading and our street trading policy before applying.

If you're an event organiser and you're making a block application for an event where multiple traders attend then you'll need to complete an online application form and attach the following information:

  • A map of the trading site. The map should clearly identify the proposed site position by marking the site boundary with a red line. The map should include the nearest residential and commercial properties to the trading site. The map should show the location of all trading pitches.
  • A copy of the certificate of insurance that covers the street trading activity for third party and public liability risks with an appropriate level of cover (minimum cover level of £5,000,000).

We'll need these documents before we can accept your application. Please ensure you have them saved to you device ready to attach to you online application form. You will not be able to submit your online application without the above documents being attached.

  • You will need to submit details of all the traders who will be at the event, this can be included when completing the initial block street trading application. If you do not have all of these details at the time of application, you will need to complete a separate traders list 14 days before the event. 


You'll need to pay an administration fee for street trading consent application. When your application is received, we will contact you to take the payment. Please make sure are aware of how much this will cost. 

If the land where you want to trade is owned by East Devon District Council then you'll need to complete a use of EDDC land form and pay any land hire fee due.

Find out about our Privacy Notice and how we will use information about you


Start the journey


More info about the journey

You'll need:

  • Complete the online block Street Trading application form.

Block Consent

You'll also need to attach the following documents to the online application:

  • A map of the site.
  • A copy of your insurance certificate.

Copies are accepted unless we advise otherwise. 


When we receive your online application we'll check it to make sure it's been completed correctly. We'll telephone or email you if there is anything else we need.

As soon as we have the complete application and all the information we need, we'll accept it.  We will then carry out a consultation process with:

  • The Highways Authority (Devon County Council) / Highways England
  • Devon and Cornwall Police
  • Devon and Somerset Fire & Rescue Service (DSFR) where appropriate
  • The Council’s Environmental Health (Commercial and Environment Protection) Teams
  • The relevant Ward Members (unless they are the applicant)
  • The appropriate Parish or Town Council (unless they are the applicant)

Where possible we'll give them 28 working days to let us have their views.  We do this so that we can consider their comments before any consent is granted.

After this date, we'll consider your application and decide whether to grant it or refuse it and write to you with our decision.  If your application is granted, standard conditions will be attached to the consent.  We may also attach additional conditions if we think it is necessary.

What you can do if you haven't heard from us

It is in the public interest that we process your application before deciding if it can be granted.  This means that you'll need to wait for our decision before you start trading.  If after 6 weeks you haven't heard from us please contact us by email or telephone for an update.