Guide Information and how to apply for street trading consent

Show all parts of this guide

2. Information on how to apply for street trading consent

Please read our information about street trading and our street trading policy before applying.

How to apply

There are two different online application forms depending on the type of license you need. You'll need to complete the relevant online Street Trading application form, including all supporting documents, at least 2 months before you wish to trade.

If you're applying for a street trading consent which is solely for your own use and which doesn't form part of a larger market or event then you'll need to complete a general consent application form.

If you're an event organiser and you're making an application for an event where multiple traders attend then you'll need to complete a block consent application form.


You'll need to pay an administration fee for street trading consent application. When your application is received, we will contact you to take the payment. Please make sure are aware of how much this will cost. 

You will also need to make sure you have permission of the land owner and they may make a charge for hire of the land.

If the land where you want to trade is owned by East Devon District Council then you'll need to complete a use of EDDC land form and pay any land hire fee due.

Find out about our Privacy Notice and how we will use information about you

What you need

You'll need:

  • Complete and online Street Trading application form.

General Consent

You'll also need to attach the following documents to the online application:

  • A map of the site
  • A photograph of your trading unit
  • A copy of your insurance certificate
  • Evidence of your food hygiene rating scheme score if you're applying to sell food or drink
  • Copies of identification documents which demonstrate your right to work in the UK and photographic identification
  • A Basic Disclosure Certificate issued by the Disclosure and Barring Service for yourself and any assistant staff working alone at a consent location. 
  • Written approval from the land owner. 

Copies are accepted unless we advise otherwise. 

Block Consent

You'll also need to attach the following documents to the online application:

  • A map of the site
  • A copy of your insurance certificate

Copies are accepted unless we advise otherwise. 

What's next

When we receive your online application we'll check it to make sure it's been completed correctly. We'll telephone or email you if there is anything else we need and to take payment.

As soon as we have the complete application and all the information we need, we'll accept it.  We will then carry out a consultation process with:

  • The Highways Authority (Devon County Council) / Highways England
  • Devon and Cornwall Police
  • Devon and Somerset Fire & Rescue Service (DSFR) where appropriate
  • The Council’s Environmental Health (Commercial and Environment Protection) Teams
  • The relevant Ward Members (unless they are the applicant)
  • The appropriate Parish or Town Council (unless they are the applicant)

Where possible we'll give them 28 working days to let us have their views.  We do this so that we can consider their comments before any consent is granted.

After this date, we'll consider your application and decide whether to grant it or refuse it and write to you with our decision.  If your application is granted, standard conditions will be attached to the consent.  We may also attach additional conditions if we think it is necessary.

What you can do if you haven't heard from us

It is in the public interest that we process your application before deciding if it can be granted.  This means that you'll need to wait for our decision before you start trading.  If after 6 weeks you haven't heard from us please contact us by email or telephone for an update.