Guide Information and how to apply for street trading consent

Show all parts of this guide

3. Apply for a general street trading consent

General Consent

Please read our information about street trading and our street trading policy before applying.

If you're applying for a street trading consent which is solely for your own use and which doesn't form part of a larger market or an event then you'll need to complete an online application form and attach the following supporting documents:

  1. A map of the trading site. The map should clearly identify the proposed site position by marking the site boundary with a red line. The map should include the nearest residential and commercial properties to the trading site. Applications for mobile trading consents (e.g. fish and chip vans) must provide specific routes and the locations they wish to trade from.
  2. Evidence of a current Food Hygiene Rating Scheme score of at least 3 from the relevant home Authority (and let us know which authority) if your application includes the sale of food or drink.
  3. A copy of the certificate of insurance that covers the street trading activity for third party and public liability risks with an appropriate level of cover (a minimum cover level of £5,000,000).
  4. A copy of Photographic ID and copy documents demonstrating each applicant's right to work in the UK (more information about suitable documents can be found at the end of the application form)
  5. A copy Basic Disclosure Certificate from the Disclosure and Barring Service which must be less than 3 months old. If you have not received your DBS certificate at the time of application, you will need to confirm that you will supply it at a later date.
  6. Any assistant staff working alone at a consent location must be a minimum of 17 years old and have a sound understanding of the conditions outlined on the consent document. You will need to complete their details on the application form and supply a Basic DBS check (no more than three months old).
  7. A colour photograph showing the stall, vehicle or barrow which is to be used from the front back and sides. It is not necessary to show what is being sold.
  8. Written approval from the land owner must be obtained prior to making an application

Please ensure you have copies of all of the above documents saved to you device ready to attach to you online application form. You will not be able to submit your online application without the above documents being attached. The only exception is the Basic Disclosure Certificate, provided that you have applied for this document and are waiting for it to arrive.

To apply for a general street trading consent please click on the start button below.


You'll need to pay an administration fee for street trading consent application. When your application is received, we will contact you to take the payment. Please make sure are aware of how much this will cost

If the land where you want to trade is owned by East Devon District Council then you'll need to complete a use of EDDC land form and pay any land hire fee due.

Find out about our Privacy Notice and how we will use information about you


Start the journey


More info about the journey

You'll need:

  • Complete and online general Street Trading application form.

General Consent

You'll also need to attach the following documents to the online application:

  • A map of the site
  • A photograph of your trading unit
  • A copy of your insurance certificate
  • Evidence of your food hygiene rating scheme score if you're applying to sell food or drink
  • Copies of identification documents which demonstrate your right to work in the UK and photographic identification
  • A Basic Disclosure Certificate issued by the Disclosure and Barring Service

Copies are accepted unless we advise otherwise. 


When we receive your online application we'll check it to make sure it's been completed correctly. We'll telephone or email you if there is anything else we need.

As soon as we have the complete application and all the information we need, we'll accept it.  We will then carry out a consultation process with:

  • The Highways Authority (Devon County Council) / Highways England
  • Devon and Cornwall Police
  • Devon and Somerset Fire & Rescue Service (DSFR) where appropriate
  • The Council’s Environmental Health (Commercial and Environment Protection) Teams
  • The relevant Ward Members (unless they are the applicant)
  • The appropriate Parish or Town Council (unless they are the applicant)

Where possible we'll give them 28 working days to let us have their views.  We do this so that we can consider their comments before any consent is granted.

After this date, we'll consider your application and decide whether to grant it or refuse it and write to you with our decision.  If your application is granted, standard conditions will be attached to the consent.  We may also attach additional conditions if we think it is necessary.

What you can do if you haven't heard from us

It is in the public interest that we process your application before deciding if it can be granted.  This means that you'll need to wait for our decision before you start trading.  If after 6 weeks you haven't heard from us please contact us by email or telephone for an update.