Guide Organise an event on council land

Show all parts of this guide

4. Licence requirements

Licences are required for a range of activities, including the sale of alcohol, the performance of live or recorded music, and charitable street collections. Our event application forms provide information on licence requirements.  However if you are unsure, the Council’s Licensing office will be able to advise you what type of licence, if any, are required for your specific event.


If your event requires any of the following activities to take place, then you must apply for a licence as part of a legal requirement for your event.


Temporary Event Notice (TEN):

TENS can be used to allow licensable activities to be carried out on a one-off or occasional basis. These include:

  • The sale / supply of alcohol
  • The performance of live / recorded music
  • The performance of a play / film
  • Dance performances

They are appropriate for small-scale events such as community, school, charity and fundraisers where the sale of alcohol, entertainment or the sale of hot food and drink between 11pm - 5am. TENs can only be used for events with no more than 499 people in attendance, including staff and volunteers.

You need to submit you application for a TENs licence at least one month in advance of your event.

Find out more information on TENs Licences and how to apply. 


Time Limited Premises Licence

A Time Limited Premises Licence is a permanent licence granted in respect of a specific location for a one-off event with more than 500 people in attendance or events lasting for more than 24 hours with bars and stages.

You need to submit your application at least three months ahead of your event.  This is because, by law, 8 authorities and the public have to be consulted for a 28 day period during which anyone can object.

If relevant objections are raised, your application may have to be referred to a licensing committee.  Applying at least 3 months before your event ensures that there is sufficient time to process your application.

This licence application cost starts at £100 upwards (nationally set fees).

Apply for a Time Limited Premises Licence.


Charitable Street Collections

If you want to carry out a charitable street collection during your event, you will need a permit. You’ll need to apply at least 28 days before you want to make the collection. Two charities can collect in the same town on one day, so its vital you apply for this licence in good time. 

Apply for a Charitable Street Collection


Street Trading

Street trading is the selling of or offering to sell things in the street.  A street includes:

  • Any road, footway, beach or other area to which the public have access without payment
  • A service area as defined in section 329 of the Highways Act 1980

This also includes any part of a street.

A consent is needed if you want to sell or to offer to sell things in the street.

Further information on Street Trading


Music Licences

If you are planning on having either recorded or live music at your event you will usually need to apply for a music licence.

Whether the performance is played live or by such means as CD, radio, DVD, TV, karaoke etc, whether a charge is made for admission or not, or whether the performers are paid or not, a licence is still necessary. If you play CDs, tapes or records you may also need a licence.

Please ensure you purchase the required licence(s) before the event takes place. No event that plans to include performances of licenced live or recorded music can be held on East Devon District Council’s parks or open spaces without a suitable licence.

Further information on music licences


Please note: you must ensure you have left enough time to apply for your licence, as your event will not be able to go ahead without the correct legal licensing requirements in place.